Coconut Vegetable Curry with Coconut Quinoa
• 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil
• 1 small onion, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
• 1/2 cup broccoli florets
• 1/2 cup diced red peppers
• 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
• 1/3 cup snow peas (loosely cut)
• 1 Tbsp curry powder
• pinch cayenne or a little more
• 2 cans light coconut milk
• 1 cup veggie stock
• Sea salt and black pepper
• 10 fresh basil leaves
• Juice of 1 juicy lime
For the Coconut Quinoa:
• 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
• 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
1 If serving with coconut quinoa, begin by washing thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for 3 minutes. Add 1 can light coconut milk and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light, fluffy and the liquid is absorbed. Set aside until serving.
2 In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, broccoli and a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened – about 5 minutes.
3 Add curry powder, cayenne , veggie stock, coconut milk, another healthy pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
4 Add the snow peas and cook for an additional 10 minutes
5 Add basil and lime juice
6 Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Serve over coconut quinoa